JakeyPrime#0001

Suggestions & The Future of HepBoat

Posted (edited)

Hey everyone! It's been a long time. Sorry for that. Ever since we sharded HepBoat our team has been pretty quiet. I'm here with news, but not the news. But we will talk more about that later.

First, let's cover HepBoat currently. Right now there is obviously some suffering people are facing with not getting some events, unfortunately a lot of this is out of our control. Thankfully none of the important events are getting missed, but sometimes there seems to be some issues with less important events getting missed by modlogs. There's also the issues with cosmetic things like badges across different shards due to not anticipating the scale of the bot, and not making it something that is aware of shards. This is something that will be fixed and drastically improved in the... upcoming news....

Second, and most importantly! We want your feedback!! We know some of you live and breathe HepBoat, and some of you (Lily) are the reason it still exists today. For the past couple weeks the suggestions system has been disabled as we find a better way to manage suggestions. It used to be just for Zira, then Zira and HepBoat, and now it's over 10 services in house, and suggestions for our partnered services, and with a larger partner moving into Team Hydra, Zira's system did not work out for us anymore. So we are introducing our Forums! We would appreciate if you could register and check them out! (This was originally written for Discord but due to it's length, was posted on the forums, so you're already on them!)

We've already gone ahead and moved all of the valid HepBoat suggestions to the forums, so if your suggestions are there, feel free to sign up with the link above and comment on the ones that are yours so we can transfer them to your account, so you can keep track of them!
If you can't find any past suggestions you have made (and put some effort into finding them) feel free to make new ones and follow the template. A quick link to the HepBoat suggestions forum is https://hydra.hep.gg/forum/8-hepboat/

Note: Once creating your account, make sure to run /forum in #bot-spam so you can link your account and get the roles you might need to actually post in this forum!

Thirdly, slightly related to the forums. If you're a Patreon supporter, then you might have noticed that the tiers have disappeared. If you're currently subbed, *NOTHING* will change, unless you unsub or lose your Patreon sub, then you won't be able to resub. Instead, continuing on the news, the forums will be used to also maintain new subscriptions to HepBoat, and even facilitate the transactions for those interested in HepBoat Prime (and are invited to it). 
"But Jakey, why did you switch away from Patreon?"
Personally, there's a lot of reasons. Only some of which I'll talk about, the important reasons. First, Patreon has a terrible API, all of it had to be done by hand and there was no real tracking. The best thing I could do with their API is trigger a webhook when people unsubbed, resubbed, or bumped a tier, and then had to run everything with the bot manually, and keeping track of who has what, for how many months, which subscription they have, which badge tier they are on. Etc. 
With the new system, and since it's homebrew, we can keep track of all of this automatically, and make sure people are getting exactly what they pay for. 
Second reason, Patreon took 10% of whatever we made, plus 3% or so for each transaction. Now I know it might be a little bit of whining, but, HepBoat Patreon was started as a way to support our development and server bills, which used to be something I was willing to just write off because I enjoyed making HepBoat. We've expanded to the point that HepBoat costs upwards of $200 a month to run, and it's no longer in a spot to a pay in the way of a hobby.
Patreon is meant for creators where there isn't much in the way of costs, like YouTubers who are having people pay per video. Obviously they have costs associated but they typically make much more in the way of Patreon. The costs are fluent! HepBoat costs a flat fee a month, and losing sometimes 15 percent of anything I make just because I wanted the "tiered" tools, is not something that fits with the model of HepBoat anymore. The new platform, although something we pay for, is much less and actually makes our workflow easier, plus we host it and can write tools and scripts to automate it all, making the lives of staff and users easier.

TL;DR - Patreon charged us too much, there was no API, we already wanted forums, and with integration to automate HepBoat and make it friendlier for users and staff, this is the place. If you are currently on Patreon, you can choose to stay, or you can move over! Feel free to comment here if you want to move your Patreon on sub over to here (it benefits us, and technically you, no tax!) we will honor the tiered pricing from Patreon! However if your sub drops off without letting us know in advance, we won't honor it! 

Last but not least. Maybe the whole reason you're here.

The rewrite.

I think the rewrite has been delayed more times and hyped up almost as much as Cyberpunk 2077, but hopefully we don't turn out to be the buggy mess the game did...

There's bad and good news, lets start with the bad, because I'm awful, I know.

The Bad: I'll be honest with you, the Python rewrite of HepBoat was cancelled (KEEP READING!). We manage a lot of projects, Zira being our biggest. And with even more honesty, Zira funds basically all of Team Hydra, and HepBoat barely covers it's own server bills. Zira covers the gap sometimes to keep the bot online. So the Python rewrite of HepBoat didn't really get of the ground, we had some help from the wonderful @GhoultheKitty#0001, but due to how things were, she was alone in a lot of the development, and ultimately it slowed to the point that I made the decision to stop working on it. We needed people to focus on current instance with all the API changes Discord was throwing out, that we had to maintain with all of our bots, not just HepBoat. All of our services BESIDES HepBoat are also written in Node.js / JS, and HepBoat was that outsider written in Python, and my Python skills started to get a little rusty. I no longer felt I could keep an active eye on it as well as I wanted with Ghoul and Bunnerz. Ultimately the Python rewrite was left in the dust, but thankfully, helping keep Rawgoat warm in these cold, wintery times. All in all, the rewrite was cancelled, and we focused on making emergency updates to HepBoat, and getting HepBoat Prime running for those who needed ULTRA reliability.

The Good: Well, what can I say, I like having surprises, I like keeping the best for last because, frankly, I'm smiling while writing this.
"But Jakey, you keep saying PYTHON version of HepBoat, I'm onto you! The rewrite isn't cancelled!"
Very astute, thanks for ruining my surprise! 
Yes folks, HepBoat.js is in full effect, we are actively working on it, and will keep actively working on it. It'll still be the same HepBoat you know and love, but with all of your suggestions over the past 1-2 years, and lots of improvements to current systems that are half working (more plugins maybe???)
Well, some of you have been here a while, the sparkle dust of a new promise might not get through to you, because I'll be honest, we have been full of empty promises, and I don't blame you, but I can assure you those promises hurt us internally, just as much. So what are we doing about it, what do we have to show for the rewrite? 
Well for those of you that haven't been helping us test... Not a lot, but I'll just have to ask you to trust me here...
Internally, the command handler, command output, and basically the skeleton and the framework for the bot is done, it's all in place to make adding things in the future, easy, hotloadable, and STABLE. Adding plenty of new things but keeping it classic so it doesn't come across too different, but different enough that you get more usage from the bot. We are dedicated to delivering the best product we can, but we need more time. The dashboard needs a little bit of love to keep it looking the same, but up to date and functional. Switching from flask to a javascript backend is the tricky part, but it's also... One of the last things we need to do. After that, we open it up to start migrations and getting people onto the bot! Right now there is no ETA. Since the dashboard will require a lot of love, as well, we need to write the migration scripts from moving our current database into the new bot, then grab some new data that we need to store on each guild, and get people onboarded one by one. 

Bear with us as we get this done, we're doing it all for you guys, some of you have been with us since the beginning and we sincerely can't thank you enough. All servers that make the migration will be getting special flare on these forums, special server badges, and owners will be getting some founder badges on their profiles once it launches.

We cannot wait to show you more and get some of you on board, keep an eye on these forums for some information on how to sign up to be first onto the new boat, obviously when it all goes down we will do a mass migration and launch it on the main bot, seamlessly moving you all over!

If you want to support what we are doing here and donate a Redbull or 5 to the people behind the bot, you can see the new subscriptions listed here:
https://hydra.hep.gg/store/
You can see that there are subscriptions to get your server whitelisted, if you currently use HepBoat do not do this, unless you're already subbed on Patreon, then comment below and we can help get your subscription moved over.
There are also supporter roles that will help you level up your supporter badge on HepBoat for both the current instance and the new instance, all previous Patreon contributions will also be put towards your badge.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Whether you're just a user of HepBoat on a server you mod, all the way up to a HepBoat Prime Server Owner who's been with us since the beginning, I cannot thank you enough. This may just be a bot for a chat platform, but this bot moderates some of the greatest places in the world. Communities where we make friends, meet the loves of our lives, and create bonds that we might cherish forever. And that's why we keep creating bots, tools, etc. Keep doing that, and we'll keep making tools to help you continue it.

I love you all, and thank you for everything,

- JakeyPrime & Team HepBoat.

Edited by JakeyPrime#0001
Adding info on syncing roles.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Founder & Lead Developer @ Team Hydra

Posted (edited)

You're a star Jakey. I hope you also allow some kind of custom choice for donation/payment amount, because I want to help even out the issues with Hep's contribution. It's been INVALUABLE to us, since it was very first introduced. I can't imagine the struggle we'd have had without it. ♥

pWide.png

EDIT: also lmao first

Edited by iPathos#0002
FIRST
  • Like 1

pWide.png

3 minutes ago, iPathos#0002 said:

You're a star Jakey. I hope you also allow some kind of custom choice for donation/payment amount, because I want to help even out the issues with Hep's contribution. It's been INVALUABLE to us, since it was very first introduced. I can't imagine the struggle we'd have had without it. ♥

pWide.png

EDIT: also lmao first

The supporter tiers are pretty inclusive on amounts, but if you have any ideas, you can DM me and I'll add another tier, just for the kiwi 🙂

I’m super excited! I’ve supported hepboat since I found her and Jakey, you have an amazing team, I’m sure you’ll accomplish amazing things in the js rewrite. You have my full support, and I know you have mixed feelings about me however I’ve loved Team Hydra when I first discovered Zira. I wish you guys the best! I love the forums and the whole moving suggestions and topics to a more home-ish feel. Astonishing job on everything, as always 💜

ps. sorry about the hep.gg logs mess, I never told you directly :p

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dylan James#0420 said:

I’m super excited! I’ve supported hepboat since I found her and Jakey, you have an amazing team, I’m sure you’ll accomplish amazing things in the js rewrite. You have my full support, and I know you have mixed feelings about me however I’ve loved Team Hydra when I first discovered Zira. I wish you guys the best! I love the forums and the whole moving suggestions and topics to a more home-ish feel. Astonishing job on everything, as always 💜

ps. sorry about the hep.gg logs mess, I never told you directly 😛

Love you man, glad to have you around! There's no mixed feelings, you're a good guy, and your kind words are super appreciated!

And no problem for the logs, I just wanted you to be like "oh mb lol" hahaha! 

Glad to have you here once again 🙂

• Like 1

It's only been a few months since I first started using HepBoat after some moderators from the Call of Duty Discord recommended it to me. And boy has it been a night day difference from Dyno!

Why? HepBoat actually works, is easily configurable, doesn't have multiple hours of down time every other day, has an amazing (and patient, sorry lol) support team and much, much more.

So no Jakey. Thank you, thank you, thank you for the time and dedication you've put into making HepBoat and Team Hydra what it currently is.

On a sidenote, let's get that Patreon moved over shall we?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Caedrius#0406 said:

It's only been a few months since I first started using HepBoat after some moderators from the Call of Duty Discord recommended it to me. And boy has it been a night day difference from Dyno!

Why? HepBoat actually works, is easily configurable, doesn't have multiple hours of down time every other day, has an amazing (and patient, sorry lol) support team and much, much more.

So no Jakey. Thank you, thank you, thank you for the time and dedication you've put into making HepBoat and Team Hydra what it currently is.

On a sidenote, let's get that Patreon moved over shall we?

You're clear to move over to the supporter badge whenever you like! It's moreso meant for those folks who are paying month to month, you've already paid for all of your servers!

You just have to be aware that the supporter ranks are different from whitelists now 🙂

Just now, JakeyPrime#0001 said:

You're clear to move over to the supporter badge whenever you like! It's moreso meant for those folks who are paying month to month, you've already paid for all of your servers!

You just have to be aware that the supporter ranks are different from whitelists now 🙂

As you may have noticed my Patreon subscription is still active. Just because I've paid for my servers doesn't mean I want to stop supporting the work you're doing 😉.

• Like 1

Just now, Caedrius#0406 said:

As you may have noticed my Patreon subscription is still active. Just because I've paid for my servers doesn't mean I want to stop supporting the work you're doing 😉.

Fair enough!

Of course I really appreciate it, just wanted to make sure you're crystal on supporting us, so that there's no surprises, last thing I want to do!

Make sure to get that off patreon and move it over as soon as you'd like, less money for patreon and more money on HepBoat dev is what we strive for, that's open whenever you'd like!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.