purplecho#1199

Potential Anonymous messages from server members

Your Discord User ID: purplecho#1199 | 298948950814228481
Your Server ID: not currently running Hydra ModMail. Looking at running it on server ID 734036525091913798 or maybe others in future, but this feature would be essential for us
Your Instance ID: (If you have one)
Your Suggestion: allow server members to contact mods anonymously
Why Does Hydra Modmail Need This: sometimes people are not comfortable raising issues if they can't be anonymous
Any Other Details You Want To Add: obviously this runs the risk of anonymous spammers. But perhaps there could be a way of blacklisting individuals from the anonymous feature, so they can still contact the mods if they really need to but without being anonymous

This could be implemented as a toggle, I like the idea. The only thing about this is that we would still store the user ID on our backend, for obvious reasons of keeping it all and for blacklisting. I'd have to think it over and how it would work with both our backend as well as making sure the user is completely anonymous etc, but I'm liking the idea of it. 

The only thing that i would add, if we do have a way of blacklisting users from the anonymous feature, is it would warn the user before they contact, do you think this would be a good idea? I think it would be jarrying to message in, expecting to be anonymous and suddenly it showing your username.

Founder & Lead Developer @ Team Hydra

Glad you like it! I imagine that the user would be informed at the point that they get blocked, and then any time they try to send something anonymously either it fails with an error message - so they have to use the regular, non-anonymous messaging instead - or it asks for confirmation before sending with their name attached. I completely agree that at no point should a message intended as anonymous be sent with a name unless the user has agreed to it

Would server owners toggle it at a server level or would users use a command to make it anonymous?

Ideally, users could choose whether or not to be anonymous based on which command they use. And the admins could toggle whether or not anonymity would be available for their server in the first place

On 1/12/2021 at 5:56 PM, purplecho#1199 said:

Ideally, users could choose whether or not to be anonymous based on which command they use. And the admins could toggle whether or not anonymity would be available for their server in the first place

Problem is, right now, there is no command to create a modmail, they just DM the bot, how would you want a user to differentiate sending anonymous threads? Maybe /anon in front of it?